A CONSUMER'S GUIDE TO BUYING A FRANCHISE Thinking about buying a franchise? Investigate before you invest. Before you sign on the dotted line, read this guide from the Federal Trade Commission for advice on evaluating franchise opportunities.
NASAA's FRANCHISE REGISTRATION AND DISCLOSURE GUIDELINES (Amended and Restated UFOC Guidelines - 74 pages)
- Basics of the Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD): A Primer on This Important Paperwork (Link to FranchiseDirect.com).
- Electronic Filing Depository (EFD) The NASAA EFD allows filers to submit filing notices, fees, and forms
- Electronic Filing Depository (EFD) video tutorials
Laws, Rules and Orders
- Administrative Rule: North Dakota Administrative Code, Title 73-03 - Franchise Investment Law. Title 73 of the North Dakota Administrative Code contains the rules adopted by the Securities Commissioner to assist in the interpretation and implementation of the Securities Act, Franchise Investment Law, and Pre-need Funeral Services Act.
- N.D.C.C. 9-08 Unlawful and Voidable Contracts
- Franchise Rule 16 CFR Parts 436 and 437 - The Franchise Rule gives prospective purchasers of franchises the material information they need in order to weigh the risks and benefits of such an investment. The Rule requires franchisors to provide all potential franchisees with a disclosure document containing 23 specific items of information about the offered franchise, its officers, and other franchisees.