Who Must Register
All persons who act as broker-dealers and agents for the offer and sale of a security must be registered. Also, persons who are in the business of providing investment advice or making recommendations regarding the investing in, purchasing or selling of securities, and are charging a fee for this service, must be registered or notice filed as an investment adviser and registered as an investment adviser representative.
Definitions for broker-dealers, agents, investment advisers and investment advisor representative can be found under 10-04-02 of the North Dakota Securities Act.
Registration requirements for broker-dealers, agents, investment advisers, and investment adviser representatives can be found under 10-04-10 of the North Dakota Securities Act.
ND Century Code
- N.D.C.C. 10-04. The North Dakota Securities Act. The North Dakota Securities Department administers and enforces the North Dakota Securities Act, N.D.C.C. Chapter 10-04, by registering securities; reviewing exemptions; issuing no-action letters and interpretive opinions; and licensing broker-dealers and their agents, and investment advisers and their representatives. The Securities Department investigates complaints alleging violations of the Securities Act and rules and if violations are found, the Securities Commissioner may bring an administrative or civil action or make a referral for criminal prosecution.
- N.D.C.C. 10-04-02. Definitions.
- N.D.C.C. 10-04-10. Registration of broker-dealers, agents, investment advisers, investment adviser representatives, and notice filings by federal covered advisers.
- Central Registration Depository (CRD) The Central Registration Depository (CRD®) supports the licensing and registration filing requirements of the U.S. securities industry and its regulators.
- Investment Adviser Registration Depository (IARD) This site provides investment adviser firms and representatives with information about the Investment Adviser Registration Depository (IARD) system. IARD is an electronic filing system that facilitates investment adviser registration, exempt reporting adviser filing, regulatory review, and the public disclosure information of registered investment adviser firms and individuals.
For Assistance Contact:
Cody Schmidt, Examiner / Investigator, Email Cody
Phone: (701) 328-4703; ND Toll Free: (800) 297-5124